Friday, March 17, 2006

The Duggar Family

Recently there have been several television shows (on TLC and Discovery Health Channel) about the Duggar Family. I first heard about this family on Crystal’s blog (Biblical Womanhood), sometime last year, when I first started reading blogs. I must admit that, at first, it seemed VERY odd to me that anyone would choose to have 16 children. Then after reading Crystal’s blog for several months I realized that my attitudes about children needed some reevaluating. I don’t know if I’ve fully changed my view about limiting your family size but I HAVE changed my view on the blessings of a large family. Some of the commenters on Crystal’s blog likened the Duggar family to a daycare…I had, had that same thought myself…..but after watching them on TV I see that I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!
The Duggars are a happy, loving, fabulous family who work together to get done what needs to be done. I saw the older children mentoring the younger and along the way learning many, valuable life skills. I saw children who were well behaved, well spoken, confident but didn’t have the need to be the center of attention. But most importantly I saw a family who loves God and who is trying to live in obedience to Him.
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar did not come across as having a self-righteous attitude or an attitude of ’you MUST do everything the way we do’. He was not some Neanderthal, chauvinist who wants to dominate his wife, and she was certainly no brainless, door mat. They seemed to love and respect each other very much and were a beautiful picture of how a husband’s headship and a wife’s submission makes for a beautiful, God-honoring marriage.
For more information about the Duggars, go to their website at www.duggarfamily.com